Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 49:21 — 22.6MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
We returned to record our fifteenth episode on Sunday January 8, 2017.
Interesting News and Events
- Avaya Chapter 11 – Avaya could be headed toward Chapter 11
- IPv6 Christmas Tree – IPv6 ICMP ping would light up a specific color of LEDs on a Christmas tree.
- Networking Field Day 13 – November 17 – 18, 2016 – YouTube Playlist
- Networking Field Day 14 – January 18th – 20th
- Chaos Communication Congress 2016 (33C3)
Roundtable Discussion – 2017 Thoughts?
Looking back at all the episodes we recorded in 2016:
01 >> How to Improve Yourself
02 >> Fast Deployment vs Planing
03 >> New Location Rollout
04 >> Evolution of Broadband Internet
05 >> Network Monitoring
06 >> Discussion with Avaya’s Roger Lapuh
07 >> Next-Gen Firewalls
08 >> Network Troubleshooting
09 >> LAB Environment
10 >> IPv6 Internet Addressing
11 >> Infrastructure Lifecycle
12 >> Fiber and Twisted Pair Cabling Plant
13 >> Campus Network Design
14 >> Building Temporary Interim Networks
- SDN disruption continues – SDN-WAN has convincing arguments
- Public Cloud / Private Cloud
- Automation / DevOps
- Small Scale IT vs. Large Scale IT vs. Humongous Scale IT (differing challenges to each)
- Security Challenges / IoT
- IT Generalist – Knowledge of Application Layer, Network Layer, Storage Layer, Computer Layer – extremely valuable going forward
- Consumer – cutting the cord – Video over Internet, Video on Demand, Streaming TV, AT&T DirectTV Now, Smart TVs, Hulu, Roku, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
- What HD Channels get I get over the air? – USA
What tools are you using?
syslog-ng – I’ve running syslog-ng for the past 15+ years as my centralized syslog server with great success. Here’s a blog post from Balabit outlining how to deploy syslog-ng with Elasticsearch and leveraging Kibana to visualize the data on CentOS/RHEL.